Hi There! This blog will no longer have any new post or activities. Please click here to go to my NEW blog, as I've depleted all the memory on this one. I hope to see you there! I will, however, continue to keep this blog up, as there are tons of ideas and tutorials that you may want to search through. When you are done searching here, please head on over to my new blog and visit me there. Aloha, Teri

Friday, September 19, 2008

Starbook Tutorial - 2008 Version

Happy Aloha Friday! Yay! I made it to the end of the week!

A while back, I did a class on two sizes of starbooks which I got the idea from a WOW swap I participated in on the SU cruise to the Panama Canal. These cute books just amaze me and so, when I saw this version, I knew I just had to make one! The tutorial follows after the photos of the front, and of all of the pages to make this star book.


I started on this tutorial right after I had my monthly class for the gals who purchased the kit from my class and I apologize from the bottom of my heart that it took me soooooo long to complete. (Lynnelle and Kacie). The tutorial was actually half way done, but I just needed to sit down and put it all together (edit photos, add arrows, type up instructions, upload.... you get the idea). So, finally...here it is, the tutorial for the 2008 version of the starbook with dangles.

I adapted the basic pattern from a kit made by Pinecone Press. The cardstock, design paper, stamping and the following instructions are my own take on creating this book and all supplies used are by SU.

Here's a list of what you will need:

10 Sheets of whisper white cardstock 7 1/2" X 10"

10 strips of cardstock cut into 1/2" X 7 1/2”

5 strips of cardstock 2” X 7 1/2" fold in half

5 strips of cardstock 1/2" X 2”) fold in half

10 pieces of designer paper 2 1/2" X 7 1/2"

EyeletsScallop circle punch (SU)

1 1/4" and 1 3/8” circle punches

Thread, scotch tape, paper piercer, coluzzle circle template, cutting foam and blade

Base pages of the book.
Step 1. Fold 5 sheets of white cardstock in half. Add a 1/2" X 7 1/4" strip on each to the two outside edges of the cardstock. Repeat for the other 4 sheets.

Step 2. Attach 2” X 7 1/4" strip to the center of each sheet (on the fold). Repeat for the remaining 4 pages.

Inside pages with circle.
Step 1. Make the following score lines on the remaining five sheets of white cardstock – 2 1/2", 5” and 7 1/2" (using the scor-pal makes it easier).

Step 2. Fold on the scored lines to form a valley, mountain and valley fold.

Step 3. Cut out a circle with the coluzzle circle cutter in the center of each piece (I used the companion circle template and followed the 3rd circle from the outside). Note: if you are using the class kit, I have already cut these circles out for you.

Step 4. Next, roller wheel each of these five pieces. (I used the jumbo wheel So Swirly for the sample). Attach designer paper to each side.

Step 5. Stamp five images and punch out using the 1 1/4” circle punch. Punch out five circles using the 1 3/8” circle punch and punch out five scallop circles. Assemble to create your dangles. Add an eyelet to each dangle. Using sewing thread (this is what I used) loop through the eyelet.

Step 6. To attach a dangle to the page, make a hole with paper piercer on the scored line right above the cut out circle. Insert the thread in the hole (you may want to use a needle threader) and secure the thread with tape.


Step 7. Attach the folded 1/2" X 2” piece to hide the thread and reinforce the area. Repeat this four more times to attach all of the dangles to each cut out page.

Step 8. Add adhesive to cut out page as shown


Step 9. To assemble, butt your cut out page up to the 1/2" cardstock strip on base page on the left side and then the right side. Repeat this step four more times to create five completed pages.

Step 10. Putting it all together. Put adhesive on the back of each book section as shown. Remove tape and adhere the pieces together by placing the front of one to the back of another. Join all five pieces together like a book.

Step 11. Front and back covers. Place a length of ribbon on front and back of the book


Step 12. Attach front and back covers to the front and back of the book covering the ribbon. Decorate as desired.

You can create a star shaped book by tying the book open.

What do you do with this you're thinking...add photos to it! Of course, I still have yet to add photos in my book! Hope this wasn't too complicated to understand. It looks more complicated than it really is. Please feel free to call me or email me with any questions you may have on making this star book. I'd love to see what you come up with if you decide to give it a try! Post a comment and send me the link...I will post your project here!

12 comments:

Jodi said...

This was so fun to make! I must send you what I made for my niece's 1st Birthday!! =)

Colleen said...

What a cool project. I took a class where I made a star book similar to what you made. It does look a lot more complicated than it really is. I think the hard thing about making the book is all the steps involed to complete it. To this day I have not made another one. Maybe I will give it another try by following your very detailed tutorial. :) Thanks for the tutorial. You did a great job.

Rita said...

This is an Awesome idea Teri, it's so beautiful! I Luv those colors! Great job girl! Thanks for sharing, your tutorials are super!

Sheree said...

What a neat tutorial! Love all the details.....now to buckle myself down to try it! See you soon. Cheryl

Little C's Creations said...

Wow!!! Thanks for your extra hard work in doing this tutorial, Teri!!! Nice Job!!! You are going to make a lot of people happy!!!

Thanks again for your time n' efforts!!

hugs,
Jen

Deborah said...

Serious show stopper! Amazing book! SUch talent you have! Thanks for the darling monkey thank you card! Deb

Allison Rankin said...

Super star book...love the idea of the little cut-outs! Great job Teri!

Elaine said...

You rock with this honey pie! Love the tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing your lovely, fun project!

Maria said...

Ooh, Teri. . .I most definitely have to try this out! It's GORGEOUS! Your tutorial looks easy to follow! Beautiful job on your book and tutorial!

Maria

eunice said...

wow, Teri this is beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial...I can hardly wait to try it out too!

Risa said...

What a beautiful album Teri! I love everything about it!! The DSP, the hanging ornaments...everything about is awesome. TFS the tutorial as well, I definitely have to try making a Star Album:)

Lisa Montsion said...

I love the album.

Lisa